Sunday 6 October 2013

Life


In sea shallows, I slope a toe
and feel that first shock
of electricity
when a little wave arises.

I take a step ahead now,
numb to the shinbone,
anticipating

what to do next. To fight
for consciousness,
flee into apathy,
wait?

Skip ahead and a new wave catches
thighs - bring it on -
and another forward-move
until a boomer whacks my chest
to almost a topple
of torso and water.

I keep walking
beyond mindful tricks
of cold and danger
to go again
another time,
another push
knowing that heart is red and strong
with muscles a-tightening
ready to leap
and be lifted,
surrender
and swim.

2 comments:

  1. thanks john for your valuable comment. Thanks a lot.

    Vijay

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great poem on life and its journey . Thank you. I am moved !

    ReplyDelete